Buttermilk not only adds a distinctive and wonderful flavor but works well as a marinade. These turkey drumsticks are a meal in themselves that are tender, flavorful and easy to eat.
- 4-6 turkey drumsticks
- 1/2 cup/120 mL olive oil
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
- For the Marinade:
- 2 cups/475 mL buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL honey
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dried dill
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
1. In a medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients until thoroughly mixed through. Place drumsticks in a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over it. Seal bag and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
2. Preheat grill for medium heat. Once up to temperature and right before placing turkey legs onto the grill, oil the grill grates. This can be accomplished by using a large pair of outdoor cooking tongs, oil (preferably a high smoke point oil), and folded paper towel.
Grasp paper towel with tongs and dip liberally into oil. Run across the grill grates and repeat process about 3-4 times. This will creates a non-stick surface.
3. Remove drumsticks from plastic bag and discard marinade. Place turkey on oiled grill grates. Cook on medium, indirect heat for 2 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 185 degrees F. Brush with barbecue sauce every 15- 20 minutes after the first hour of cook time.
3. Once cooked through, remove drumsticks from heat and let rest for a 3-5 minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||163 g|
|Saturated Fat||41 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||60 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|