This is a Caprese-lover's treat. Marinated with basil and lemon, the chicken is taken to the grill and cooked to perfection, topped with fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and a balsamic reduction. A healthy and delicious meal for any day of the week.
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/3 cup/80 mL olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 large leaves of basil
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL white pepper
- 3/4 cup/180 mL balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese (1/2 inch thick)
- 2-3 medium tomatoes (sliced)
- Garnish: 3 leaves basil (chopped)
- Place olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, basil, salt, and white pepper in food processor. Pulse mixture 10-12 times or more until well combined. Stir and taste mixture for salt content. Adjust accordingly.
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag, pour mixture over chicken, making sure that each piece is coated well. Seal bag and place into refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- While chicken is marinating, it's time to make the balsamic reduction. Place vinegar into a saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 8-10 minutes. It should have a thick, syrupy consistency that coats the back of a spoon. Once this is achieved, remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Remove chicken from bag and place onto grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Toward the end of the cooking time, place a slice of mozzarella and 1-2 slices of tomato on each breast. Cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Chicken is done once it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. in the thickest part of the meat. Remove from heat and garnish with reduced balsamic and chopped basil leaves before serving. This dish goes really well with a fresh side salad or grilled vegetables.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||92 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||42 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|