You can take almost any vegetable up a notch with some herbal seasoning and a hot grill. Grilled veggies are a great and flavorful alternative to the all too commonplace steamed vegetables, and they offer a refreshing break from turning on the hot oven when the season’s temperatures begin to rise. Another thing that we love about grilling vegetables is that they can simplify your meal preparation when paired with other grilled dishes or meat entrees to make a complete meal.
Carrots can be considered the underdog of the grilled vegetable world, but they shouldn’t be. They are often overlooked as a grilling veggie despite their deliciously sweet and smoky flavor after only a few minutes on the grill. Unlike steaming, grilling carrots brings out a much more complex flavor with a fresher texture that’s still the perfect side dish for anything from burgers to chicken.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- While grill is heating up, trim the tops and any fibrous ends of the carrots. Then, wash and peel the carrots patting with a paper towel to dry. You can cut carrots in half lengthwise if thick enough to still be at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Place a single layer of carrots in a baking dish and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the oiled carrots with the desired amount of salt and pepper, then season with thyme and rosemary.
- Once the grill is heated, place carrots on the grill (cut side down if cut in half lengthwise) and cook for about 10-12 minutes with lid down, turning once during cooking. The carrots should develop some sear marks before turning.
- You will know when carrots are done when both sides are seared (or they begin to brown) and can be pierced with a fork with a soft crunch in the middle.
If You Have a Grilling Basket
If you have a grill basket, you can also slice your carrots into medallions or rounds. Follow all the steps above, but cook for about 5-7 minutes, turning once during cooking. Carrot rounds look nice on a plate for presentation and are also a little easier for kids to eat.
- To kick these grilled carrots up, consider adding a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice immediately after taking off the grill.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|