Grilled sandwiches are fabulous recipes. All you do is combine bread with cheese and just about any other ingredient, heat it until the cheese melts and the bread turns golden, and you have a recipe worthy of dinner on any night.
There are literally hundreds of combinations of grilled cheese sandwiches; this is one of my favorites because it adds apple and celery along with canned chicken to a basic sandwich.
This sandwich cooks beautifully either on a nonstick skillet or in your George Foreman dual sided indoor grill. It's one of my favorites.
Serve this sandwich with some fresh fruit or with a nice green salad. It's also fabulous served with any type of simple soup.
- 1 (12-ounce) can canned chicken, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Swiss cheese, celery, and apple.
- Make sandwiches with the bread. Then spread the outsides of the sandwiches with the softened butter.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when you put it in the pan.
- Grill the sandwiches, covered, over medium heat, turning once with a spatula, until the cheese is melted and gooey and the bread is nicely toasted, about three to five minutes per side. Or grill the sandwiches on a dual-contact indoor grill for 3 to 5 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Fat: 21 grams
Sodium: 550 mg
Carbs: 36 grams
Fiber: 4.9 grams
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|