This is a flavorful salad and it's an easy preparation. The sour cream dressing is the perfect topping for this salad, but feel free to substitute a ranch dressing or your family's favorite.
Serve this chicken salad with a cup of soup for a delicious and satisfying meal. I used a grill pan to cook the chicken breasts, but sliced fried chicken or broiled chicken could also be used.
- 4 pieces chicken (breasts, boneless, without skin)
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dash Creole seasoning
- 4 cups spring greens mix (washed and dried)
- 4 large mushrooms (Portobello, sliced)
- 4 ounces cheese (Havarti or Swiss cheese, diced)
- 1 cup tomatoes (cherry, or roasted tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup onions (cocktail, or sliced red onion)
- Optional: Croutons
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (tarragon, or white vinegar)
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- Dash onion powder
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (or cream, or to desired consistency)
Heat the oven or warming drawer to 250° F.
Wash chicken and pat dry. Place a piece of plastic wrap over a chicken breast and pound lightly to even (1/2-inch) thickness. Repeat with remaining chicken and sprinkle all pieces lightly with salt and pepper.
Brush a grill pan with olive oil; place over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and browned. Sprinkle lightly with Creole seasoning; cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the heated oven or warming drawer.
Brush portobello mushrooms with a little olive oil. Grill for about 3 minutes, or until browned on both sides and hot.
Meanwhile, arrange spring mix on 4 plates.
Arrange hot mushrooms over the greens, top with a pieces of cheese.
Slice chicken into strips and place over the mushrooms and cheese; brush generously with the sour cream dressing (see below).
Place a few roasted tomatoes or cherry tomatoes and cocktail onions or sliced red onion on the plates.
Sprinkle with croutons, if desired.
Combine dressing ingredients, adding a little milk or cream, if needed. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, to taste.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|