This is a great way to prepare this traditional favorite. Don't worry, while this recipe doesn't call for tomato sauce, it uses sliced tomatoes instead.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 3 Roma tomatoes sliced thinly
- 4 ounces/115 g mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup/60 mL Parmesan cheese
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Pound chicken breast until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Coat with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Place chicken on grill and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and place cheese and tomato slices on top.
- Cook for additional 5-6 minutes.
- Once the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F., remove from heat, allow to sit for 1-2 minutes and place basil leaves on chicken before serving.
- Either serve over pasta or make into a chicken parmesan sandwich.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||81 g|
|Saturated Fat||25 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|