This is a great way to prepare this traditional favorite. Don't worry, while this recipe doesn't call for tomato sauce, it uses sliced tomatoes instead.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 3 Roma tomatoes sliced thinly
- 4 ounces/115 g mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup/60 mL Parmesan cheese
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
Pound chicken breast until about 1/4 inch thick.
Coat with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
Place chicken on grill and cook for 5 minutes.
Turn chicken over and place cheese and tomato slices on top.
Cook for additional 5-6 minutes.
Once the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F., remove from heat, allow to sit for 1-2 minutes and place basil leaves on chicken before serving.
Either serve over pasta or make into a chicken parmesan sandwich.