This recipe proves that you can grill breaded items. You need to be very gentle on the grill with the eggplant pieces in order to hold the breading in place. Make sure you have a well oiled grilling surface before you start.
- 1 1/2 pounds/700 g fresh eggplant
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups/475 mL Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Wash and peel the eggplant. Cut into 3/4-1" slices and sprinkle with salt. In a 10" frying pan, heat just enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Dip the eggplant slices in the egg whites and then in the bread crumbs (just the top and bottom).
2. Preheat grill. Right before placing the eggplant on the grill, make sure to oil the grill grates well. Make about 3 passes across to ensure a non-stick surface.
3. Place eggplant pieces in the hot oil- only long enough to "seal" the egg white/breadcrumbs (about 2 minutes per side). Remove and place onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately place onto a hot grill and cook until tender, or about 8-10 minutes. Carefully turn once during grilling process.
4. Heat the marinara sauce while the eggplant is cooking. When the eggplant is done, top with the marinara sauce and finish off with grated mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Serve over noodles of choice.