|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Grilled eggplant sandwich with Mozzarella cheese. Don't have a kitchen grill? No worries, this eggplant sandwich can also be prepared in your oven's broiler. With under 300 calories per sandwich, this is also a low-calorie recipe.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Wheat Foods Council
Like this grilled eggplant sandwich? Here's more vegetarian (and vegan!) sandwich ideas.
- eggplant (cut into ¼ inch slices)
- 1 bell pepper (yellow, orange or red, sliced into rings)
- 8 slices bread, buttered lightly on both sides
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place eggplant and sweet bell peppers on grill (or on a baking sheet for the broiler), and season well with salt and pepper. Grill 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grill bread on one side. Turn over to grill on opposite side, adding Mozzarella cheese to grilled side of four slices. Cheese should soften but not melt.
- Layer eggplant and bell peppers on top of cheese, and add Parmesan cheese. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread. Serve immediately.