Coffee is a great seasoning and works beautifully in marinades. The flavor isn't overbearing and will help to enhance the natural beefiness of any steak or roast.
- 2 pound/900 g. tri-tip roast, about 6 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL finely ground espresso coffee beans
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL chili powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL sea salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper, coarse ground
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL garlic powder
Combine espresso beans, brown sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, and chili powder. Rub mixture onto steaks and place into a resealable container. Cover and allow to refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat grill for medium heat. Remove steaks from fridge and place on grill. Cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the thickness of roast and desired doneness.
Once cooked, remove from heat allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.