Flank steak is a relatively inexpensive cut of meat that benefits from marinating. The lemony-garlic marinade adds a flavor lift to the meat plus acts as a tenderizer. Plus I've included some marinade variations below, including Asian Ginger, Barbecue, Garlic-Fresh Thyme, and Spicy Mustard.
- Using a sharp knife, score both sides of the flank steak in a diamond pattern, cutting no deeper than 1/8 inch.
- In a 1-gallon zipper-lock food storage bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, and garlic. Add the steak. Close the bag, pressing out the air, and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, or up to 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, heat a gas grill to medium-high, prepare a charcoal medium-hot fire until the coals form white ash, or heat a broiler.
- Remove the steak from the bag and sprinkle generously on both sides with the pepper. Grill or broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium-rare. (Do not overcook or flank steak will toughen.)
- Remove the steak to a cutting board and let it stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut thin diagonal slices across the grain. For wide slices, hold the knife almost parallel with meat. Serve right away.
- Asian-Style Grilled Flank Steak: In a 1-gallon zipper-lock food storage bag, mix 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup dry sherry or vermouth, 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil, 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger, and 2 crushed large cloves garlic. Add the steak, marinate, and cook as directed.
- Barbecued Grilled Flank Steak: In a 1-gallon zipper-lock food storage bag, mix 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons light or dark molasses, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard. Add the steak, marinate, and cook as directed.
- Garlic-Fresh Thyme Grilled Steak: In a 1-gallon zipper-lock food storage bag, mix 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme. Add the steak, marinate and cook as directed.
- Spicy Mustard Grilled Steak: In a 1-gallon zipper-lock food storage bag, mix 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Add the steak, marinate and cook as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|