Infused with the earthy and refreshing combination of gin, juniper berries, and soy sauce, this flank steak is tender and delicious. Top it off with a fragrant mushroom sauce and this grilled meal is fit for the finest dinner parties or a simple weekday meal. It is best to use a gin that is not heavily perfumed with other flavors. Alter the spice components to suit your palate.
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak (680 g)
- For the Flank Steak Marinade:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) gin
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) agave syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon (5 mL) dried juniper berries (lightly crushed)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tablespoon (5 mL) olive oil
- For the Sauce:
- 10 mushrooms (white or cremini, cleaned and sliced)
- Place flank steak in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients (except mushrooms and olive oil) until mixed through.
- Pour over flank steak, making sure every part of it is coated. Seal bag and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove flank steak from the bag (reserving marinade for sauce) and place onto the grill. Allow meat to cook for 5 minutes turn and cook for another five minutes. At this point, reduce the heat to medium on your grill and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak or your preference for doneness. Remove from heat and allow steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, heat olive oil and add sliced mushrooms. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding reserved marinade. Allow mixture to come to a boil for 1 minute before reducing heat and simmering for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the mushroom sauce is cooked through and slightly thickened, scoop onto sliced flank steak and serve with your favorite sides.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|