A great comfort dish that takes a traditionally pan fried hamburger steak out to the grill.
- 1 1/2 pounds/675 g ground beef
- 2 tablespoon/15 mL sea salt flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons/7.5 mL onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons/7.5 mL chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL coarse ground black pepper
- For the Onions:
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL olive oil
- 1/2 cup/120 mL beef stock
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL red cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL chili powder
- Dash black pepper
To prepare onion, heat oil in large skillet and add onions, salt and black pepper, cook for 3 minutes on high heat.
Watch carefully, so onions do not burn.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and allow sauce to simmer for 8 minutes.
Add more broth if necessary.
Once onions are soft and translucent, remove pan from heat and use.
Preheat grill for medium high heat.
Combine ground beef with seasonings and form into 4-5 equal sized, oblong shaped patties.
Place onto grill and cook for 7-8 minutes per side.
Once the internal temperature at thickest part of patty reaches 165 degrees F (75 degrees C), remove from heat, top with onions and serve.