These potatoes turned out crispy and tender, with a slightly smoky flavor, even though they are cooked in foil.
You can use refrigerated hash brown potatoes for this recipe, or thaw frozen potatoes, or grate your own. If you do choose to grate your own, however, make sure you work quickly. Enzymes in the potatoes will make them turn brown quickly. Whether you use refrigerated potatoes, frozen, or freshly grated, also dry the potatoes thoroughly in a kitchen towel before you cook them. Potatoes are full of liquid; if they are too wet, they won't brown but will steam in the foil packet.
You can also add more or different ingredients to the potatoes. Try a different cheese; add some herbs such as marjoram, basil, or thyme; or add another ingredient such as chopped onion or garlic.
If you want to increase this recipe to serve more people, don't double it; make two foil packets of potatoes. Once again, you want the potatoes to brown and turn crisp; if they steam, they will remain soft and won't become a nice rich color. These potatoes will cook at the same time whether you use a gas or charcoal grill.
- 1 (19-ounce) package refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Tear off a long strip of heavy-duty foil about 24 inches long and place on work surface.
- Put the potatoes in a kitchen towel and enclose in the towel; wring out the potatoes until they are almost dry.
- Mix the potatoes, olive oil, salt, and cheese right on the foil.
- Fold the short ends of the foil over the potatoes and fold, making a double seal. Then seal the sides of the foil package with more folds, but don't mold the foil tightly around the food. Leave some room for heat expansion and so the potatoes will brown, not steam.
- Grill the package over medium coals for 14 to 20 minutes, rearranging and turning the package over twice, until the potatoes are hot, with crispy browned areas.
- Open package carefully, turn into the serving bowl and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|