Craving a hamburger but feeling guilty about the fat and calories? These grilled chicken burgers are a healthier alternative while still being delicious. Ground chicken is mixed with carrot, green onion, garlic, and herbs to make flavorful patties that are sure to please even the purist of ground beef burger lovers.
One thing to remember, though, is that raw chicken patties will be very soft. Make sure to turn only once during the cooking process to prevent the patties from breaking and falling apart. If you find that you are having a difficult time handling the burgers on the grill, you can place the patties on a piece of aluminum foil and then put on the grates. You won't get any grill marks, but at least your burgers won't end up in the base of the grill.
Preheat grill to medium heat and lightly oil the cooking grate.
Combine ground chicken, carrots, green onions, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper together in a large mixing bowl. Do not overmix.
Shape mixture into 4 to 6 patties and place on wax paper. The mixture will be soft.
Place patties on oiled grill and allow to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once. The patties are cooked once they reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
Remove from heat and place onto toasted buns. Serve with your favorite condiments.
- If you are finding the mixture is very soft, add a few breadcrumbs and combine until distributed.
- If you find it difficult to get the mixture to hold together to form the patties, include a beaten egg; this should help the mixture bind.
- Fresh herbs in place of the dried will give the patties a bit of brightness and make this the perfect recipe when the garden is in bloom.
- Try these burgers topped with fresh tomato and avocado, or even grilled eggplant or zucchini slices.
- If you prefer turkey meat, or that's all you have in your freezer, you can easily substitute it for the chicken in this recipe.
- Feel free to swap out the regular hamburger buns for multigrain rolls or even brioche.
- A lemon-herb mayonnaise would bring this already delicious sandwich to a whole new level.