Grated fresh ginger adds an extra kick to this flavorful marinade, which does double duty as a basting sauce while the chicken thighs are grilling. Just in case the weather doesn't cooperate, the recipe includes broiling instructions.
While the actual preparation time is quite short, you'll want to allow time for marinating the chicken.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Five-spice Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, skin on or off
- For Marinade:
- 8 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Asian sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 scallions (green onions, spring onions), finely chopped
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
- Garnish: sesame seeds
- Rinse the chicken thighs under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, soy sauces and Asian sesame oil. Whisk in the ginger, garlic, scallions, brown sugar and crushed red pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the marinade and reserve to use as a basting sauce.
- Place the chicken thighs in 1 large resealable plastic bag and place in a bowl. Add the marinade, reseal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning occasionally. (If needed, use 2 small resealable bags and divide the chicken and marinade between them).
- To grill: Preheat the grill. Remove the chicken thighs from the bag, discarding the excess marinade. Lay flat on the cooking surface and grill, turning every few minutes and basting with the reserved marinade, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the thighs are cooked through and the juices run clear. Serve hot.
- To broil the chicken: place the thighs on a rack sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup of water on the tray underneath to prevent the fat from catching on fire. Broil the chicken on high heat, 9 inches from the cooking source, for about 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes and basting with the marinade, until cooked through. Serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|