You might not expect to find a meatloaf on the grill, but when the weather's great and the grill is available, why not?
This flavorful meatloaf is an easy preparation and it is cooked on the grill. Try to keep the grill temperature steady at a medium heat of around 350 F (180 C), and use a heavy duty disposable aluminum pan or double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
Top the loaf with purchased barbecue sauce or the optional glaze, or use a homemade barbecue sauce. You'll find the glaze recipe in the tips and variations.
- 1 pound ground beef (lean 85% to 90%)
- 1/2 pound pork (ground)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (soft)
- 1 cup onions (fresh or frozen finely chopped onions thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- Optional: barbecue sauce (for a glaze)
- Heat the grill to about 350° F (180° C/Gas 4), or medium heat for coals.
- Combine the ground beef, pork, ketchup, egg, breadcrumbs, onion mixture, salt, and pepper and mix until well blended. On a double piece of heavy-duty foil or in an aluminum pan, fashion the meat mixture into a loaf.
- Brush with barbecue sauce if desired.
- Grill the meatloaf over indirect heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it registers at least 160 F on an instant-read thermometer. 160 F is the minimum safe temperature for ground meat. The minimum safe temperature for ground poultry is 165 F.
Serves 4 to 6.
Tips and Variations
- Use a chopped frozen seasoning mix (onions, celery, peppers, carrots, etc.) in place of the chopped onions. Thaw or briefly saute before adding to the meat mixture.
- Optional Glaze for Meatloaf: Combine 1/3 cup of ketchup with 2 tablespoons of prepared mustard and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Instead of barbecue sauce, brush the top of the meatloaf with ketchup or chili sauce.
- Replace the soft bread crumbs with about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of oats or fine dry bread crumbs.
- Bake the meatloaf in a preheated 350 F oven for about 1 hour; brush with the glaze and bake for another 15 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|