Moussaka is similar to lasagna, but is made with ribbons of vegetables instead of pasta. This recipe takes full advantage of the great flavor from the grill by grilling the ingredients instead of blanching them in hot water. You'll get a smoky flavor in this grilled moussaka recipe that takes it to a whole new level.
- 4 small zucchinis cut lengthwise
- 2 small eggplants cut into rounds
- 3 medium potatoes sliced 1/8"-1/4" thick
- 2 1/2 pounds/1.2 kg ground lamb
- 1 cup/240 mL olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sautéed
- 2 cloves minced garlic, sautéed
- 1/2 cup/120 mL bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup/60 mL fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup/240 mL ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup/120 mL grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL butter
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL flour
- 2 1/2 cups/600 mL of milk
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 basil leaves for garnish (optional)
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan, stir in flour and cook over low heat for 2-5 minutes. Pour in milk and stir thoroughly until smooth. Bring to a boil and add nutmeg and a small amount of salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Preheat grill. Sautéed onion and garlic in 1/4 cup/60 mL of olive oil. Brush each side of the sliced vegetables with remaining olive oil. Place on grill, potatoes first, then zucchini and eggplant.
Grill until they begin to soften and remove. Mix lamb, bread crumbs, onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Form into 12 thin square patties and place on grill.
Grill until medium. Mix eggs, cheeses, tomato sauce and parsley In a 9 x 12 buttered baking dish begin layering ingredients this order: potatoes, zucchini, lamb patties, eggplant, cheese mixture and white sauce (that's the milk and flour stuff). Place moussaka on grill on medium for 20 minutes, or in oven at 350 degrees F. (175 degree C) for 30 minutes. The top of the moussaka should be a golden brown so keep an eye on it. Once cooked, remove from grill or oven and let rest for 5-7 minutes. Garnish with additional parsley or basil leaves and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|