This pineapple chicken is marinated in a mixture of pineapple juice and soy sauce and then it's topped with pineapple slices and grilled or broiled to perfection. Serve the chicken with rice and cooked peas or grilled zucchini or eggplant for a delicious summer meal.
Chicken can dry out quickly on the grill or under the broiler, so take care not to overcook. The juices from the marinade and careful cooking will yield tasty, juicy chicken.
Allow one or two slices of pineapple for each person.
- Gently pound the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap just enough to make them fairly even in thickness.
- In a large nonreactive bowl or container or zip-close bag, combine the pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar; blend well. Add 1 teaspoon of sambal, if desired.
- Put the chicken breasts in the container or bag with the marinade. Turn the pieces to make sure they are thoroughly coated with the sauce. Add more pineapple juice if necessary to cover.
- Cover the container and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Oil the grill grate liberally and heat the grill to a medium high heat, about 375 F to 400 F..
- Remove the chicken pieces from the refrigerator and discard the marinade.
- Grill the chicken and the pineapple slices over medium-high direct heat for just a few minutes on each side, or until the chicken registers at least 165 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken. Take care not to overcook, or the chicken will be dry.
Broiled Chicken Directions
- To broil the chicken, preheat the broiler and arrange the marinated chicken on a well oiled broiler pan. Broil about 3 to 4 inches from the heat source for about 8 to 12 minutes, turning about halfway through the cooking time. The internal temperature must reach at least 165 F after a few minutes resting time.
- Add the pineapple slices about halfway through the cooking time and turn them to brown both sides.
According to USDA guidelines, the minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. The temperature will rise slightly if you tent the chicken with foil immediately and let it rest for a few minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||70 g|
|Saturated Fat||20 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|