Ostrich—it’s not a bird, it’s not poultry, it’s actually in the cow, horse and camel line. Ostrich can be a lean alternative to beef. However, ostrich isn't strong on flavor so you will want to season it well. This recipe will give you an ostrich steak very similar in flavor and texture to that of a grilled beef steak. Serve over rice, potatoes, or assorted grilled vegetables.
Ostrich meat tastes similar to lean beef and is low in calories, fat, and cholesterol, as well as high in calcium, protein , and iron. It is even leaner than skinless chicken and turkey. Uncooked, it is dark red or cherry red, a little darker than beef. Also, ostrich meat is a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, and more.
Commercial farming for ostrich feathers and later for skins and meat became widespread during the 1970s. Common ostriches are so adaptable that they can be farmed in climates ranging from South Africa to Alaska.
Ostriches typically avoid humans in the wild, since they know humans are higher on the food chain. If approached, they often run away. But, if cornered, they can attack and be very aggressive. They will defend their territory and offspring. One powerful kick with their feet can kill a person. It is estimated in South Africa two to three people die from an ostrich attack annually.
- 4 4 to 5 oz./110 to140 g ostrich steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tbsp./30 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon/7.25 ml salt
- 1 tsp./5 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp./5 ml onion powder
- 1 tsp./5 ml coarse ground black pepper
- Place ostrich steaks on a plate. Combine remaining ingredients and rub into both sides of steaks. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature (covered) for 15 minutes as the grill is heating up.
- Oil grill grates well once it has heated and place steaks on to cook. Grill steaks for 5 to 6 minutes per side, depending on thickness or until internal temperature reaches at least 150 F.
- Once cooked to the appropriate temperature, remove the meat from the grill and let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve.
If grilling is not your thing or you do not have access to a grill, but you have a nice piece of ostrich steak, you can cube it and make it into an ostrich stew.
Ostrich stew is a part of the cuisine of South Africa. You can also use ostrich leg meat. Ingredients for the stew can include vegetables such as onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes, soup stock, and wine.
Ostrich meat is also sold ground up. Ground ostrich can be used in any recipe calling for beef. So, it is perfect for chili, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, meatballs, or any casserole.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|