Here’s a dish that combines two summertime favorites – grilling and potato salad – into one! The super fast microwave technique saves time and prevents you from turning on the conventional oven in the summer heat. Throwing the potatoes on the grill adds a smoky flavor before tossing with fresh herbs and spices.
- 3 pounds/1.4 kg medium-size red potatoes
- 1/3 cup/80 mL white or golden balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup/80 mL Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60 mL fresh basil (finely minced)
- Optional: 1/4 cup/60 mL toasted pine nuts
- 8 to 10 cherry tomatoes (cut in half lengthwise)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl; cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Note: If using plastic wrap, make sure the plastic wrap is not touching any ingredients and poke one small hole in cover to vent.
- Microwave on high for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender (cooking time may vary depending on microwave).
- Use oven mitts to carefully remove from microwave. When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half or quarters and spray liberally with olive oil spray.
- Grill over high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally until grill lines are apparent.
- Remove from grill and let cool.
- Cut into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and garlic; pour over potatoes and toss lightly to coat.
- Season with pepper, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, toss with Parmesan cheese, tomato halves, basil, and sprinkle with pine nuts.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|