Use a food processor or immersion blender with chopping bowl to mince the salmon, or mince it by hand. Choose your favorite species of fresh salmon for these delicious juicy salmon burgers.
These salmon burgers are different from salmon croquettes which are usually made with canned salmon. These burgers are made with fresh minced salmon.
Cilantro, ginger, and sesame oil give these burgers Asian flavor.
Serve the salmon burgers with a spicy chili mayonnaise or sweet chili mayonnaise (see directions, below). Cook the burgers on the grill, an electric grill, or in a grill pan on the stovetop.
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 large egg white
- 2 pounds fresh salmon, skin and any pin bones removed, coarsely chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray (or olive oil)
- In a food processor or using an immersion style blender with chopper bowl, pulse the green onions with the cilantro, ginger, lemon juice, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Scrape the sides of the food processor a few times. Add the soy sauce and egg white; pulse a few times to blend. Add the salmon and pulse a few times, just until minced. Alternatively, mince the salmon by hand and turn it into a bowl; add the finely chopped vegetables and seasonings and mix well.
- Shape the salmon mixture into six patties.
- Spray the top of the salmon burgers with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Oil the grill or grill pan.
- Flip the sprayed side of the burgers onto the grill or grill pan. Spray or brush the other side of the salmon burgers.
- Grill for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 145 F. According to the USDA, tat is the minimum safe temperature for salmon
- Serve in the split toasted hamburger buns with lettuce leaves and spicy chili mayonnaise (below)or remoulade sauce, or another plain or flavored mayonnaise.
Makes 6 servings.
- Spicy Chili Mayonnaise: In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 3 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce , 1 to 2 teaspoons of Asian garlic chili paste (sambal), and 1 teaspoon of lime juice.
- Sweet Chili Mayonnaise: In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 3 teaspoons of Thai-style chili sauce and 1 or 2 teaspoons of Asian garlic chili sauce (sambal), or to taste.
- A reliable instant-read food thermometer will ensure the burgers are not overcooked or undercooked. Insert it into the thickest part of a few of the salmon burgers.
- Make and shape the salmon burgers earlier in the day. Cover and refrigerate until the grill is ready.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|