These delectable and healthy grilled salmon burgers are topped with a refreshing radicchio slaw and a creamy sambal mayonnaise. Serve on a bun or in lettuce wraps depending on your preference. Either way, these salmon burgers are sure to please.
- 1 1/2 pounds/680 g salmon filet (cut into 3-inch chunks)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup/240 mL almond flour (you can use bread or panko crumbs too)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon/2.5 mL ginger (powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/2.5 mL white pepper
- vegetable oil
- 4-5 hamburger buns
- For the Slaw:
- 1 medium radicchio (shredded, washed, and dried)
- 1 medium carrot (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL peanuts (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon/1 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1 mL black pepper
- For the Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL sambal chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon/2.5 mL onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Cut salmon fillets into 3 inch chunks and remove any skin or bones that remain. Place chunks into a food processor with white parts of the green onion. Add salt, white pepper, ginger, almond flour and rice wine vinegar.
Process ingredients until well combined. Mixture should have a little texture, so do not over process. Remove lid, add green portion of green onion, replace lid and pulse 5 times. Set aside while you prepare the grill.
Preheat grill for medium high heat. Once grill comes up to full heat (about 10-15 minutes later), oil grill grates with an oil soaked paper towel. Secure into a large pair of cooking tons and wipe across grill grate 3-4 times to create a non-stick cooking surface.
While grill is heating up, form salmon mixture into 5 equal sized patties. Place onto grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F/65 degrees C. Once cooked through, remove patties from heat and place onto a large plate. Tent with aluminum foil.
To prepare slaw: Add shredded radicchio and carrots to a marge bowl. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, salt and black pepper. Toss to coat. Taste and add more soy sauce or salt to you liking. Add peanuts at the very end and toss to distribute through slaw. You can prepare the slaw before working on the salmon. Simply cover bowl and place into refrigerator until ready to use.
To prepare mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise with sambal sauce, pepper, onion powder.
To assemble burgers: add a generous amount of sambal mayonnaise to bottom bun, place grilled salmon patty on top, then radicchio slaw and top bun. Serve with your favorite sides.