This salmon recipe is quite unique as it the salmon fillets or steaks are basted in a rich barbecue sauce. It is truly delicious and surprisingly easy to make. This dish is great for weeknight meals, but certainly flavorful enough to serve your guests.
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (or steaks)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- For the Salmon BBQ Sauce:
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoonground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. To prepare BBQ Sauce, heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 3 minutes, or until tender. Add all remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Split sauce in half. Coat salmon fillets (or steaks) with 1/2 of the sauce and reserve the remaining half until it's time to serve. Store reserved half in refrigerator and reheat in microwave for 30 seconds before serving. Cover coated salmon with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
2. Preheat grill. Right before grilling salmon, oil the grill grates well. Make at least 3-4 passes with an oil soaked paper towel to create a non-stick surface for the fish.
3. Season salmon with salt and black and place grill. Cover and cook for 12 minutes per inch of thickness ( or until internal temperature reaches between 145 degrees). Remove fish from grill and serve with barbecue sauce.