These salmon or tuna steaks are marinated and then grilled or baked to perfection. The marinade adds garlic and lemon flavor to the steaks or fillets.
Salmon should be cooked through, but tuna is best when it's still pink in the center. Salmon will flake easily when a fork is inserted into the center and twisted slightly. According to the USDA, fish and shellfish must be cooked to a minimum safe temperature of 145 F (62.8 C).
- 4 salmon or tuna steaks or fillets (about 1-inch thick)
- For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice plus 1/2 teaspoon zest
- 1 small clove garlic (crushed and minced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Arrange fish in a shallow glass or plastic dish or a sturdy plastic food storage bag. Whisk together marinade ingredients in a small bowl; pour over the fish. Cover or seal and refrigerate for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, turning frequently.
Remove the fish from the marinade, pour the marinade into a saucepan, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Place fish on a well-oiled grill or grilling basket and grill over medium coals for about 3 to 5 minutes, basting frequently with the boiled marinade.
- Turn and cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or until the fish is nicely grilled on the outside. Tuna should still be pink in the center. Salmon should flake easily with a fork and will be opaque.
- Place the fish in a non-stick baking pan or nonstick oven-safe skillet (salmon should be skin-side down). Place the pan or skillet in a preheated 450 F oven.
- Bake salmon for about 12 to 15 minutes and tuna for 8 to 12 minutes. Salmon should be cooked through and will flake easily with a fork inserted into the center and twisted slightly. Tuna should begin to flake but should still be pink in the center.
Tips and Variations
Serve the salmon or tuna over mixed greens or spinach or serve the fish with rice, lemon wedges, and a side vegetable. Broccoli and green beans are good choices.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|