Salmon Tacos are a fresh and healthy alternative to traditional tacos. The salmon is generously rubbed with a spice mixture before it's grilled, then receives a splash of lime juice before hitting the tortilla with tomatoes, red onion, and a creamy avocado-ranch dressing. Try this flavorful grilled salmon taco recipe for a new take on a classic favorite.
- 1 pound/450 g salmon fillet
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup/240 mL ranch dressing
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- For the Salmon Rub:
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL cumin
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL chili powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL dried oregano
1. Combine ingredients for salmon rub. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over both sides of the salmon fillet and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Blot excess juice away with paper towels. Sprinkle salmon rub over salmon fillet, coating evenly.
2. Preheat grill for medium high heat. Right before placing salmon onto grill, oil the grill grates. To do this, use a large pair of outdoor cooking tongs, folded paper towels, and a high smoke point oil like grapeseed or avocado oil. You can also use olive oil if in a pinch. Soak paper towels with oil and grasp with tongs. Apply oil onto grates making 3-4 passes. This will help to create a non-stick surface for the fish.
3. Cut open avocado and remove seed and scoop out flesh with a spoon. Crush to an even mixture. Add ranch dressing and mix well. Taste and add a pinch of salt if needed Set aside.
4. Grill salmon over a medium high heat. When done (internal temperature of at least 145 degrees) the salmon will easily flake and appear opaque through the middle. Break salmon into small pieces and distribute among warmed tortillas. Top with avocado dressing and tomatoes and red onion.