The pomegranate vinaigrette serves a dual purpose in this easy grilled salmon dish. It is a marinade and a dressing that is drizzled over the finished dish, which can be eaten as an entree or over lettuce for a main-course salad. Eastern Europeans are extremely fond of salmon and pomegranate, a fruit they inherited from their Middle Eastern and Mediterranean neighbors, and which some Eastern European regions cultivate.
Here's a larger image of grilled salmon with pomegranate vinaigrette.
Makes 4 servings of Easy Grilled Salmon with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- For the Pomegranate Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin) or sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: pomegranate seeds
- Garnish: 1 tablespoon chives (chopped)
- For the Salmon:
- 4 (4- to 6-ounce) salmon fillets (boneless, skinless, and patted dry)
- Optional: romaine lettuce
- To make the pomegranate vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, mix the pomegranate juice, vinegar and honey, and let sit for 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil and adjust the seasonings. Mix in pomegranate seeds and chives, if using. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir thoroughly before using.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the pomegranate vinaigrette to another container and refrigerate.
- Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper, if desired. Lay them in a 13x9-inch glass or ceramic pan and pour over remaining vinaigrette. Turn fillets to coat with vinaigrette. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes but no longer than 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, indoor tabletop grill or outdoor grill. Place salmon on the hot grill, cover and cook for 1 minutes. Give fillets a quarter turn to get crosshatch grill marks and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes or until salmon is done to your liking. Usually it takes 5 minutes per 1/2" of thickness. Discard vinaigrette used for marinating.
- Serve with or without greens, drizzling reserved vinaigrette over the fillets and garnishing with pomegranate seeds and chives, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|