This savory cornbread is a good side item to grill while there are other things grilling. Put it up on the top rack and let it cook while you take care of the rest of the meal.
- 1 1/2 cups/360 mL flour
- 1 1/4 cups/300 mL corn meal
- 3/4 cup/180 mL water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt (kosher salt works best)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix corn meal, flour, egg, onion, yogurt, salt, and enough water to make a thick pourable batter.
- Preheat grill.
- Heat an iron skillet on the grill (lid up), add the vegetable oil and coat the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Lower the flame to low and cook with the lid down.
- When the edges are golden brown check with a toothpick to see if it's done through the middle. If not, place either on the top rack or on an unlit part of the grill until it is done.
- Watch carefully to make sure it doesn't burn. Cornbread should be cooked in 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and pour melted butter over the top.
Note: The recipe can be made in the oven as well. Just cook at 425 F, for 20-25 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|