If you're looking for a different kind of burger, these grilled shrimp burgers are sure to please. These simple and delicious patties are easy to prepare and will add variety to your weekday meals or your next cookout. So, if you're tired of the same old beef or turkey burgers, give these shrimp burgers a try!
- 2 pounds/900 g large shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 1 cup/240 mL panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup/80 mL mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup /60 mL fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 green onion (white and green parts, finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL mustard powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil
- 6 hamburger buns
1. Place shrimp in food processor and coarsely chop; do not pulverize into a paste.
2. Transfer shrimp to large bowl and add mayonnaise, chopped parsley, chopped green onion, lemon zest, Cajun seasoning, and mustard powder. Once combined, gently fold in in the bread crumbs.
3. Form mixture into patties that are roughly an inch thick and place onto a cookie sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
This will allow the shrimp patties to firm up a bit so they don't fall apart on the grill.
4. Preheat grill for medium heat and oil the grill grates before cooking. Once grill is up to heat, oil grill grates using a large pair of tongs, a folded piece of paper towel, and lots of oil (olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc). Make at least 3-4 passes on the grill. This will create a nice non-stick surface.
5. Brush both sides of patties will oil and place onto grill. Cook patties for 5-6 minutes per side, making sure not to press down on them too much or they might fall apart. Once cooked, remove from heat and let rest for 3 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns with tartar sauce and salad greens of choice.