Gambas a la plancha, or grilled shrimp, is a classic Spanish tapa recipe. Whole, unpeeled shrimp are salted, then cooked quickly on a flat-iron grill.
During and after cooking, lemon juice can be squeezed on the shrimp, giving them even more flavor. What a pure and simple dish!
- 1 pound shrimp (20-25 count, heads on)
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive)
- Rinse shrimp and drain. Cut lemon in half.
- Heat grill or cast-iron frying pan until very hot. Pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and cover the cooking surface evenly with the oil.
- Place shrimp on grill or in the pan, sprinkle liberally with salt. Squeeze lemon juice directly over shrimp. Turn shrimp over and sprinkle more salt and lemon juice.
- Shrimp should turn pink and shells should “brown” slightly when cooked. As soon as they are cooked, remove and place on serving platter. Garnish with lemon.
Note: Because the shrimp will be cooked at high heat, do not use a non-stick surface. Use a flat-iron grill or a large cast-iron frying pan for best results.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|