This stuffed, grilled mushroom dish makes an excellent starter or side dish to any meal. The combination of spinach, breadcrumbs, and tomatoes give these mushrooms a pizza-like of flavor. Slice and serve as appetizers or simply serve whole for a delicious vegetarian main dish.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 10-12 ounces/280-340 g baby spinach (washed)
- 1 cup/240 mL tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup/60 mL sun-dried tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup/60 mL black olives (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Place spinach in a large skillet and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Make sure to stir constantly. Remove from heat and drain out excess liquid. Place wilted spinach into a bowl and set aside. Add olive oil and onion to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding ripe and dried tomatoes, olives, salt, and pepper to mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in reserved wilted spinach.
2. Preheat grill. Remove mushroom stems and gently scrap away black portion. Brush olive oil on mushroom caps. Season with additional salt and black pepper. Place on grill and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from grill.
2. Spoon spinach mixture into mushrooms. In small mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Top spinach with bread crumb mixture. Place stuffed mushroom caps on grill for an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|