|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is about as authentic of a Tandoori chicken recipe as you can get without a Tandoor (Indian ceramic oven). If you haven't tried Tandoori Chicken you really owe it to yourself.
2 pounds/900 g chicken legs, skinned and scored
- 1 cup/240 mL plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup/80 mL vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, pureed
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon/ 30 mL sea salt
- 1 tablespoon/30 mL Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons/7.5 mL chili powder
- 2 teaspoons/7.5 sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon/2.5 mL curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL almond slivers
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL chopped cilantro leaves
Prepare chicken legs by removing skin and scoring meat two times across meatiest part. Place legs into resealable plastic bag. Mix remaining ingredients, except almond slivers and chopped cilantro leaves, until well combined. Pour over chicken, making sure each piece is well coated. Seal bag and place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat. Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade, and place legs onto grill. Brush with marinade during the first 20 minutes of cooking and no later. Legs are done once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (45 minutes to 1 hour). Once cooked though, remove from heat and top with slivered almonds and chopped cilantro before serving.