|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: About 2 cups (16 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When setting out to grill up burgers, fish, chicken, sausages or anything, the goal is get that great grilled flavor into foods. This relish is the perfect topping because it starts on the grill. Get the tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos grilled before a finely chopping to make a relish so flavorful it will work on virtually anything. This is a great topping for any grilled meat or vegetable.
- 1 large red onion (cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds)
- 1 pound/450 g tomatillos
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and deveined)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL olive oil
- 1/4 cup/60 mL red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon/1.25 to 2.5 mL salt (depending on taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL sugar
- 1/3 cup/80 mL cilantro (roughly chopped and loosely packed)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, black pepper, sugar, and paprika in large bowl. Add onion slices, tomatillos, and jalapenos to mixture. Toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator and allow to marinade for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat grill for high heat. Remove onion, tomatillos, and peppers from marinade and place on grill, reserve half the marinade. Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once or twice. Make sure the vegetables are slightly charred but still crunchy. Once this has been achieved, remove from the grill and place onto cutting board. Chop vegetables and place into bowl with reserved marinade. Add chopped cilantro and additional salt if needed. Use as a condiment for burgers, grilled sausages, chicken breast, pork loin, or fish.