|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a tasty grilled vegetarian recipe that is full of flavor and makes a delicious meal. Ratatouille is a traditional French Provincial recipe made from the last things harvested from the garden.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch circles
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) basil
Wash eggplant pieces and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large resealable plastic bag.
Add eggplant, zucchini, and squash. Toss to coat all the pieces. Remove vegetables and add the onion. Toss to coat.
Place eggplant, zucchini, squash, and onion to grill. The onion might be handled more easily if it is on a skewer.
Grill onions about 10-12 minutes, turning about 3 times.
Grill the remaining vegetables for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool.
Cut eggplant into cubes and the other vegetables into thin slices.
In a large saucepan heat the garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add remaining ingredients except for the fresh basil and heat on low for 30 minutes. Add fresh basil and mix well.
Serve over rice.