This is a tasty grilled vegetarian recipe that is full of flavor and makes a delicious meal. Ratatouille is a traditional French Provincial recipe made from the last things harvested from the garden.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch circles
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) basil
- Wash eggplant pieces and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, and squash. Toss to coat all the pieces. Remove vegetables and add the onion. Toss to coat.
- Preheat grill.
- Place eggplant, zucchini, squash, and onion to grill. The onion might be handled more easily if it is on a skewer.
- Grill onions about 10-12 minutes, turning about 3 times.
- Grill the remaining vegetables for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool.
- Cut eggplant into cubes and the other vegetables into thin slices.
- In a large saucepan heat the garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add remaining ingredients except for the fresh basil and heat on low for 30 minutes. Add fresh basil and mix well.
- Serve over rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|