This beautiful and nutritious summer side dish recipe takes colorful vegetables and threads them on kababs, then grills them with herbed butter sauce until they're tender and smoky. Make Grilled Vegetable Kababs for your next summer party for a colorful side dish. You can use any type of vegetable you'd like. Just make sure that they will cook on the grill in about the same amount of time. That means potatoes, chunks of corn on the cob, and other root vegetable such as carrots should be precooked, either in the microwave, or in simmering water, until almost tender before you put them on the skewers.
You can serve this recipe with homemade hummus for dipping. Tell your guests to remove the veggies from the skewers using a fork, then dip each vegetable into the hummus before eating. This recipe could almost be a main dish for a light vegetarian lunch; serve with some muffins or toasted garlic bread.
- 12 new red potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 12 large mushrooms
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- Prepare and preheat grill.
- Peel a thin strip around the center of each small new potato and place in saucepan with onions. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes until potatoes are barely tender. Drain well.
- Cut each onion into 6 wedges. Seed bell peppers and cut each into 6 wedges. Pat all of the vegetables dry with a paper towel.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt, and thyme leaves.
- Thread vegetables onto 12 metal skewers, leaving about 1/4" of space between each piece so they will cook evenly. Vary the vegetables as you'd like so they look nice; be sure to consider color when arranging the kababs.
- Grill the kabobs 4 to 6" from medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Brush kababs frequently with butter sauce and turn frequently, until vegetables are tender.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||21 g|