White Asparagus is gaining popularity in U.S. but has been a long time favorite in Europe. If you can find them, I recommend that you give it a try. The flavor is slightly sweeter than green asparagus, and the garlic-soy cream works well on either variety.
- For Asparagus:
- 2 bundles white asparagus (ends trimmed)
- For Sauce:
- 1 cup/240 mL creme fraiche
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons/5-10 mL chili paste
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 mL garlic powder (use more if preferred)
- For Garnish:
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 large green onion (finely chopped)
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Soak asparagus in cold water for 5 minutes to make sure to remove all.
- Place sauce ingredients in blender and blend until well combined. If making ahead, put into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Remove asparagus from water, pat dry, brush lightly with oil, and place on grill grate. Cook for 2-3 minutes, rotating throughout cooking time.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with garlic-soy cream, and top with sesame seeds and chopped green onion
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|