Serve this hearty ground beef and black bean chili with cornbread or crackers or use it as a taco filling. This is a great everyday meal your family will ask for again and again. Use a slow cooker or cook it on the stovetop.
Did you know that chili freezes well? Consider making a double batch and freeze half for a future meal.
- 1 sweet onion (about 1 cup diced)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (large)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chili peppers
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder or more chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Optional: dash chipotle chile powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel the onion and dice it.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper and dice.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Place a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, breaking it up and stirring frequently.
- Add the diced onion and bell pepper and continue to cook until the onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest level and simmer for about 1 to 2 hours, or transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve the chili with cornbread or crackers.
- Lighten the chili by using ground turkey or chicken instead of the beef. Add some beef bouillon or base to give it some beef flavor.
- Freeze chili in single-serve portions for lunches or quick meals.
- Garnish Ideas - Garnish chili with sour cream and chopped cilantro, onions, or green onions. Or crumble tortilla chips over servings. Shredded cheddar or a Mexican blend makes a great garnish as well. Or put optional garnishes in bowls and let your family and friends add what they like.
- Use leftover chili to top hot dogs, or use it as a filling for omelets or burritos.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|