Add a rice dish to this ground beef and cabbage casserole to make a complete meal, or serve with mashed potatoes. It's a tasty dish for an everyday family meal.
This is a tasty combination, similar to my skillet unstuffed cabbage. Add a little tomato sauce to the ground beef mixture for a saucier filling.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head cabbage, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 3/4 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4). Lightly butter a 2-quart casserole.
- In a large skillet or saute pan, cook ground beef, chopped onion, and chopped green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain off fat.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and garlic powder. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
- Cut cabbage into 6 wedges or coarsely chop.
- Put about an inch of water and about 1 teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan. Add the cabbage to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Arrange the cabbage in a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish. Pour ground beef and tomato mixture over the cabbage.
- Bake cabbage casserole, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and bake for about 5 minutes longer, until the cheese has melted.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|