If your ground beef is not extra lean you might want to brown it first. See the tips for instructions.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90% or better)*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels or 1 can (15 ounces), drained
- 16 ounces diced frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed, or about 3 to 4 cups mashed potato or cooked diced potato
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp or mild Cheddar cheese
1. Combine beef, onion, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine corn, potatoes, flour, melted butter, and chopped green bell pepper.
2. Pat the beef mixture into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; top with the corn and potato mixture.
3. Bake uncovered at 375° for 45 minutes; sprinkle with the cheese and bake ground beef casserole 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until browned and potatoes are tender.
*If the ground beef is not extra lean, you might want to brown it first. Brown the beef with the onions win a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain well and then mix it with the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Proceed with the recipe.