|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||51%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This slow cooker ground beef and sausage chili is a great chili to enjoy on a cold fall or winter day. Black beans and tomatoes are among the ingredients, along with onions, hot and sweet peppers, and chili spices. Along with the chili powder, grill seasoning (e.g., Montreal steak seasoning or burger seasoning blend) and cumin add excellent flavor.
This chili is also quite versatile. Feel free to replace the canned black beans with another kind of canned bean. Pinto beans, small red beans, or kidney beans would be good choices. The beans can be left out if you prefer an all-meat chili. For a hotter chili, add extra jalapeno peppers. Or, leave the hot peppers out and use a milder chile, like poblano, banana wax, or Anaheim peppers.
Serve this chili with freshly baked cornbread, biscuits, or crusty rolls.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (85%)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces smoked sausage (e.g., andouille, chicken sausage, or chorizo)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chile peppers
- 2 to 3 tablespoons diced jalapeño peppers (or to taste)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon grill seasoning (for beef, or seasoned salt)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion until meat is no longer pink. Stir frequently.
Dice the smoked sausage and add it to the browned ground beef along with the garlic and bell pepper; continue cooking for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to the slow cooker.
Add the mild chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, and seasonings.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 6 to 8 hours. Or cook the chili on HIGH for about 3 hours.
Serve and enjoy!
- Chili freezes beautifully. Make a double batch and freeze one for a future meal. Make sure to label the freezer chili with the name and date, and freeze it for up to 6 months.
- Omit part of the meat and add another can of beans (drained and rinsed).
- Replace the smoked sausage with fresh chorizo, Italian sausage, or another spicy fresh sausage blend, and brown it in the skillet along with the ground beef.
- Use pinto beans, great northern, or kidney beans in the chili instead of black beans.
- Fresh mild chile peppers may be added instead of the canned chile. Choose Anaheim chile peppers, Hatch, banana wax, or poblano peppers.
- Serrano peppers may replace the jalapeno peppers, or omit the hot peppers if you prefer a mild chili.