Serve these delicious turkey burritos with a little more cheese, chopped cilantro, and salsa, along with sour cream or guacamole. Refried black beans are used in this recipe, but regular refried beans are an option.
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 (4-ounce) cans each mild and green chile peppers (chopped)
- Optional: 1 or 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 to 12 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Brown the turkey with the onions until turkey is no longer pink.
Add the garlic and stir in the beans, salsa, chile peppers, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes.
Heat the tortillas according to the package directions. Arrange 2 to 3 tablespoons of cheese in the center of a warm tortilla.
Top with about 1/2 cup of the cooked turkey mixture. Roll the tortilla up, tucking ends in so the meat is encased. Repeat with the remaining burritos.
Serve the burritos warm topped with salsa and more cheese or other toppings, as desired.
- Wrap leftover burritos in foil and put them in a food storage bag. Refrigerate the wrapped burritos for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheating is easy either in the oven (left in foil) or in the microwave.