|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||35%|
|Total Sugars 18g|
|Vitamin C 25mg||127%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy chili is made with lean ground turkey, but ground beef may be used as well. Simmer this chili on the stovetop or use your slow cooker.
The recipe calls for storebought chili seasoning mix; if you don't have the seasoning, see the recipe tips for a homemade chili seasoning mix.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground turkey
1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup beer, or chicken broth
3 tablespoons honey, or to taste
2 (1 1/4-ounce) packets chili seasoning mix, or enough for 2 pounds of meat
1 dash cayenne pepper, optional
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Shredded Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or mild cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, crackers, chopped onions, optional toppings
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the ground turkey, stirring and breaking up until the meat is no longer pink.
Stir in the chopped bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, beer or broth, honey or sugar, and chili mix. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pan, and then reduce the heat to low; simmer for 1 1/2 hours or longer.
Taste and add salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed.
Top each serving with shredded cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, or Monterey Jack), sour cream, crackers, chopped onions, and other garnishes.
- Use your slow cooker to cook this chili. Brown the turkey and then combine it with the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker; cook it on low for about 5 hours.
- For the ground turkey, use part or all ground turkey thighs or a ratio of 85/15 to 90/10.
- Make your own chili seasoning mix: combine 4 teaspoons of chili powder with 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Chili freezes beautifully. Scale the recipe up and freeze it in meal-size or individual portions for up to 3 months.
- Replace the kidney beans with black beans, pinto beans, or a combination.
- Add one shredded or finely diced carrot to the onion and bell peppers for some natural sweetness.
- Replace the honey with 3 tablespoons of light or dark brown sugar (or to taste).