|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||37%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 27mg||133%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Guacamole salsa is the ultimate dip and condiment, perfect for tacos, nachos, and serving with chips. It's a creamy, flavorful combination of your two favorite Mexican dips in one delicious bowl. The smooth, saucy version of guacamole has tons of zing and pep from roasted jalapeño, freshly squeezed lime juice, and tomatillos.
Spending a few short minutes charring the jalapeño and roasting the tomatillos adds layers of delicious flavors to the guacamole salsa. For an extra creamy dip, use your food processor or blender. It saves the hassle of mashing the avocados and makes a well-blended mixture.
Serve guacamole salsa alongside your favorite chips for dipping or fresh veggies if you’re going low carb. It’s amazing dolloped on top of nachos, added to burritos, or stirred into cheesy Mexican bakes.
"Perfect dip for avocado lovers! I have never used roasted jalapeño in guacamole before, and I have to say it was amazing experience and it gave the perfect amount of heat to the dip. I like guacamole a bit salty so I added extra 1/2 teaspoon of salt." —Tara Omidvar
1 jalapeño pepper
4 medium tomatillos, quartered
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 ripe avocados
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
1 bunch cilantro leaves
1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from 2 to 3 limes
Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 500 F.
Roast the jalapeño pepper over an open flame on your gas range (or with a kitchen torch), turning frequently until the skin has blistered all over. Use tongs to help you turn the pepper so you don't burn your fingers.
Place the pepper in a plastic storage bag and allow it to steam in the bag on the counter for a few minutes.
Add the quartered tomatillos, garlic, and red onion to a sheet pan. Toss with the olive oil and roast in the preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the tomatillos are softened and slightly browned.
Remove the tomatillos from the oven and allow them to cool slightly while preparing the rest of the dip.
Remove the skin and stem from the jalapeño. If you want the salsa to be spicy, leave the seeds. If you want a milder salsa, remove the seeds.
Cut open the avocados and remove the flesh, discarding the peels and pits.
Add the jalapeño, roasted vegetables, avocado, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Add the cilantro and begin blending.
Drizzle in the lime juice as it is processing and blend until completely smooth. Add in a few tablespoons of water for a thinner texture.
Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Use perfectly ripe avocados for the creamiest dip. Look for unblemished avocados that yield slightly when squeezed.
- If you don't have a gas range or a kitchen torch, char the jalapeño under the broiler.
- You can split the recipe in half for smaller meals or double it to feed a crowd.
- You can skip the roasting of the tomatillos if you wish. You will have a brighter, more vibrant flavor rather than a mellow roasted one, but it still tastes delicious.
- You can leave out the jalapeño altogether if you don’t like spicy food. Or, just scoop out the seeds and membranes for a little less spice.
- For a chunkier dip, purée all of the ingredients except the avocado. Mash lightly or dice and combine.
- For a super easy guacamole salsa, swap the jalapeño, tomatillos, onion, and garlic for prepared tomatillo salsa.
How to Store
- To store guacamole salsa, place in an airtight container and press plastic wrap directly against the surface of the dip. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- This dish does not freeze well and is best when eaten fresh.
Is Guacamole Salsa Vegan?
Guacamole salsa is usually vegan, since the ingredients include avocados, vegetables, lime juice, and seasoning. Always read recipes and food labels carefully if you are on a restrictive diet.