Superfood guacamole? While some consider the avocado a superood in it's own right, pomegranate seeds remain high on the list of the most popular and most nutritious superfoods. This guacamole recipe below combines the two superfoods (avocados and pomegranate) for the perfect superfood boost: pomegranate guacamole!
This superfood guacamole recipe is made with avocados, onion, chile, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and, of course, pomegranate seeds. With nothing in it other than fresh produce as ingredients, this pomegranate guacamole recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan and also suitable for a raw foods diet, and, if you're sticking to a raw foods diet, try scooping up this homemade guac with jicama sticks, flax crackers or cucumber rounds instead of the usual tortilla chips.
Superfood guacamole recipe and photo courtesy of Avocados from Mexico.
If you like cooking with superfoods, you might also want to check out my list of a few of my favorite and most common vegan superfoods here.
Looking for more homemade guacamole ideas? Try homemade guacamole with grapefruit recipe for an unusual and citrusy dip, or, for a little extra protein, try fresh guacamole with black beans. For something a little milder, try creamy homemade guacamole with mayonnaise recipe.
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- 2 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, minced and deseeded
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- Seeds from one pomegranate (about 3/4 cup)
- Avocados not quite ripe yet? See this guide to how quickly ripen avocados. Guacamole just doesn't work very well with under-ripe avocados!
- In a medium bowl, gently combine the mashed avocado with the chopped onion, minced serrano chile, fresh cilantro, lime juice and salt until well mixed.
- Gently add in pomegranate seeds.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste. You may prefer a slightly more limey or salty guacamole, so feel free to add in a little more or a little less of the ingredients, to taste. Personally, I'd also add in either some powdered garlic or fresh minced garlic, since I really can't imagine a guacamole without garlic!
Enjoy your homemade superfood guacamole with pomegranate seeds!
Recipe serving suggestions: Make it a full healthy Mexican-inspired meal by pairing your homemade superfood guac with these healthy vegetable tacos made from chickpeas and cauliflower or these super easy ten-minute tofu and cheese enchiladas, or, get some more ideas by browsing through this complete collection of vegetarian and vegan Mexican food meal ideas.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|