|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 101g||37%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||42%|
|Total Sugars 71g|
|Vitamin C 235mg||1,175%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Have you thought about mixing a reposado tequila with Fernet Branca? It works surprisingly well and the Guadalajara cocktail is your chance to try it out. This is a very interesting cocktail and it offers a fascinating taste you'll be hard-pressed to find in any other tequila cocktail.
Fernet Branca is an Italian amaro that brings a bitter herbal element into the drink. It pairs wonderfully with tequila, especially an aged reposado. The mole bitters are a delightful tribute to the Mexican chili sauce and help marry the cocktail's flavors, adding that perfect finishing touch. Since Fernet Branca is a digestif, this would make a fabulous after-dinner cocktail, though it's enjoyable any time.
2 ounces reposado tequila
1/2 ounce Fernet-Branca
1/2 ounce agave simple syrup
2 dashes mole bitters
3 drops grapefruit oil, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the tequila, Fernet Branca, agave simple syrup, and mole bitters.
Stir well for at least 30 seconds.
Garnish with a few drops of grapefruit oil on top. Serve and enjoy.
- The tequila you pour will make or break this drink. Choose a top-shelf reposado tequila or upgrade it to an añejo tequila. Blanco tequilas lack the flavor depth imparted by barrel aging and will not stand up as well against Fernet Branca.
- "Agave simple" is agave nectar cut with water to take off a little sweetness. To make it, combine equal parts agave nectar and water and stir until you get an even consistency.
- Ensure that the grapefruit essential oil is 100 percent pure oil and food-grade. This should be indicated on the label. Do not add oil to your cocktail that is designed for aromatherapy uses only. If that's your only option, skip the ingredient!
- If you don't have grapefruit oil handy, grapefruit bitters are a nice alternative. You can also simply cut a small piece of grapefruit peel and squeeze it over the drink to release the fruit's natural essential oils. Flame the peel if you like.
- Serving this drink in a chilled glass makes it just a little more enjoyable. If you don't have one pre-chilled, place a few ice cubes in the glass while you mix up the drink, then discard them before straining.
How Strong Is a Guadalajara Cocktail?
Like other cocktails that are made almost entirely of liquor and served short, the Guadalajara is not a weak drink. Its alcohol content should be right around 28 percent ABV (56 proof). That makes it just a little lighter than a tequini and similar martini-style drinks. It may look fancy and polished, but it packs a punch!