|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This tasty gumbo is made with smoked sausage and diced chicken, along with Creole seasonings and vegetables.
For a thicker gumbo, offer a little file powder at the table for sprinkling over the soup.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound spicy smoked sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- salt, to taste
- Optional: file powder
To make roux, heat oil in a saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns a dark brown. Be careful not to burn. Set aside.
In another saucepan, saute sausage, onions, green and red bell peppers, and celery in butter for approximately 10 minutes; add tomatoes. Stir in roux and seasonings and let simmer for 20 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
If using okra, add it the last 20 to 30 minutes.
Adjust with water or chicken broth to taste.
Add the diced cooked chicken; heat through.
Serve over hot cooked rice.