|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 48g||62%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||144%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A delicious, creamy fresh mushroom sauce tops this haddock gratin. Top the fish with a little cheese a few minutes before it's done. Parmesan or some mild cheddar would be excellent.
- 1 1/2 pounds haddock fillets, cut into large chunks, depending on baking dish or dishes
- Optional: herb blend or herb seasoning blend, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 small clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- Dash paprika
- 1/4 cup seasoned or garlic flavored bread crumbs
- Optional: grated or shredded cheese
Heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C / Gas 5.
Sprinkle fish pieces lightly with salt, pepper, and dried herb blend. Arrange the fillets in a shallow baking dish or individual au gratin dishes or ramekins.
In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and mushrooms; slowly saute until mushrooms are tender and golden. Stir in flour until smooth and dissolved into the butter. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Gradually stir the cream into the flour mixture. Stir in sherry. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Add salt, pepper, and paprika, to taste. Spoon over the haddock
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over low heat; add bread crumbs and stir to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle bread crumbs over haddock and sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
If desired, sprinkle with a little shredded or grated cheese and continue baking for 2 to 4 minutes longer to melt cheese.