A delicious, creamy fresh mushroom sauce tops this haddock gratin. Top the fish with a little cheese a few minutes before it's done. Parmesan or some mild cheddar would be excellent.
- 1 1/2 pounds haddock fillets, cut into large chunks, depending on baking dish or dishes
- Optional: herb blend or herb seasoning blend, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream
- Dash paprika
- 1/4 cup seasoned or garlic flavored bread crumbs
- Optional: grated or shredded cheese
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Sprinkle fish pieces lightly with salt, pepper, and dried herb blend. Arrange the fillets in a shallow baking dish or individual au gratin dishes or ramekins.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and mushrooms; slowly saute until mushrooms are tender and golden. Stir in flour until smooth and dissolved into the butter. Continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir the cream into the flour mixture. Stir in sherry. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Add salt, pepper, and paprika, to taste. Spoon over the haddock
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over low heat; add bread crumbs and stir to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle bread crumbs over haddock and sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- If desired, sprinkle with a little shredded or grated cheese and continue baking for 2 to 4 minutes longer to melt cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||48 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|