These tacos have a wonderful blend of flavors. The halibut lends a buttery flavor to the natural bitterness of the radicchio, while being rounded out by the creaminess of the avocado. If radicchio offers too much of an edge, try substituting this ingredient with red cabbage.
- 2 pounds (900 g) halibut fish filets
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- For Marinade:
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) honey
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) cumin
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- For Slaw:
- 1 head of radicchio, core removed and chopped into strips
- 1 avocado, pit removed and chopped into cubes
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 large red jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chipotle in adobo sauce, pureed
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) apple cider vinegar
Combine marinade in small bowl. Place halibut filets in resealable plastic bag and pour marinade over top. Seal bag and place in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, oil, cider vinegar and chipotle in adobo puree. Once combined, add radicchio, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.o, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Preheat grill for medium heat. Remove filets and place them flesh side down on the grill grate. Cook for 3-4 minutes until grill marks appear.
Using a spatula, carefully work fish away from grill grate and turn over on the other side. Continue cooking for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until fish is cooked through (and internal temperature of 145 degrees F.) and flakes easily.
Toward the end of cook time, warm the corn tortillas on the grill, about 1 minute per side. Once the fish has cooked, remove from the grill and place into a large baking sheet. Add chopped avocado to the slaw.
To assemble, simply place 1/4 cup of slaw and desired amount of fish to each tortilla. Fold and enjoy.