|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Make these crepes for a special brunch, lunch, or dinner. The crepes are a great way to use leftover ham, but feel free to use deli ham if that's what you have.
If you need to cut corners, use your favorite brand of Alfredo sauce instead of the homemade Parmesan cheese sauce.
Plan to make the crepe batter at least an hour ahead of time, or refrigerate the batter for up to 24 hours.
- For the Crepes:
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or paprika, for color)
- For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups diced ham (or thinly sliced)
- 18 to 24 asparagus spears
- Optional: salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Optional: 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (or about 2/3 cup if it is finely grated)
- Garnish: more Parmesan cheese, to taste
In a blender, combine the 2 eggs, 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and Cajun seasoning or paprika, if using. Blend until smooth.
Refrigerate the batter for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Cut the ham into small dice or slice it thinly. Set aside.
Heat oven to 500 F.
Trim the asparagus and rinse. Dry with paper towels.
Toss asparagus with olive oil or olive oil with fresh lemon to coat thoroughly. Arrange in a single layer in a shallow baking dish; roast for 10 minutes.
Remove the asparagus spears to a plate and set aside to cool.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add the garlic and chopped red bell pepper and saute for 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Gradually add the milk to the roux mixture, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, the pepper, parsley, and the shredded Parmesan cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until thickened.
Grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish.
Heat oven to 350 F.
Place a crepe on a large plate. Arrange some ham and 3 to 4 spears of asparagus on the center of the crepe. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of sauce over the ham and asparagus; roll up or fold as desired. Repeat with the remaining crepes and filling.
Arrange the filled crepes in the prepared baking dish; pour remaining sauce over them.
Sprinkle with more shredded Parmesan cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until hot and bubbly.