Make this cheesy ham and broccoli casserole with leftover ham or use purchased ham from the deli. It's a very easy layered casserole held together with an easy cheese sauce. The buttered panko crumb topping gives the dish extra flavor and crunch.
If you have some ham in the fridge, some frozen broccoli, cheese, and milk, you can make this fast and easy meal.
- 12 to 16 ounces broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
- For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Optional: 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked ham
- For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Place the broccoli in a saucepan; add about 1 inch of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low; cook until just barely tender, or about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually add the milk and minced onion, if using. Continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese to the sauce mixture and stir until it has melted. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Drain the broccoli and put it in the prepared casserole dish.
- Add the ham to the casserole and then pour the sauce over all.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and panko breadcrumbs. Stir to coat the crumbs and then sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|