This classic macaroni and cheese casserole is rounded out with ham and broccoli for a hearty and delicious dish that will satisfy the whole family. Serve this all-in-one dish with homemade biscuits or yeast rolls for a complete meal.
You may make the casserole with leftover cooked chicken or turkey, or use a combination of ham and turkey or chicken. If your family isn't fond of broccoli, use steamed peas or mixed vegetables.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (10 ounces), frozen chopped broccoli, steamed until just tender and drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs tossed with 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add flour, green onion, salt, mustard, and pepper; stir until well blended.
- Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked broccoli, macaroni, ham, and cheese. Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole.
- Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over completed casserole.
- Bake the casserole recipe in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|